Benefits of Salt Baths
Salt baths are great for much more than just relaxation. Of course, a soothing salt bath is great for that too, but the benefits go well beyond just being a soothing end to a stressful day.
Benefits of salt baths include:
- Stress relief
- Reducing muscle aches
- Improving circulation
- Headache relief
- Speeding up wound healing (don’t use on direct open wounds)
- During illness, especially respiratory illness
- To help mineral absorption and improve sleep in children
- For acne, eczema or other skin problems
- Improving skin hydration
Skin Boosting Ingredients
Bath salts can be as simple as just using a salt or magnesium salt on its own. Options include:
- Epsom Salts– Magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) is an inexpensive way to get the benefits of magnesium in a bath.
- Magnesium Flakes– Magnesium chloride flakes are another way to add the benefits of magnesium. I especially love using epsom salts or magnesium flakes since the magnesium has many added benefits of its own.
- Dead Sea Salt– Contains 21 minerals and is great as a base for bath salts. People flock to the dead sea for the health benefits and using dead sea salt is a way to get the benefits at home. I love this pre-made moisturizing dead sea bath salt soak.
- Baking Soda- We’ve used baking soda in detox baths for years. Not for everyday use, but adding a little baking soda to a bath once a week or so is a great way to keep skin clear.
Optional ingredients that can be added for additional benefits:
- Essential Oils– Any essential oil that is safe for skin use can be added to a salt bath. Since oil and water don’t mix, add the oil to the salt and then add to the water.
- Spices– Sounds crazy, but many kitchen spices can be added to a bath for a soothing effect. Most common are cinnamon and ginger powder.
- Oils– Adding oils to the salts helps moisturize skin and stops the drying effect of the salt. Some people find salt on its own too drying. Mixing in a little oil can help.
Bath Salts- Ingredients
- 2 cups epsom salts
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup dead sea salts(optional)
- 30 drops of lavender essential oil
- 10 drops of Peppermint essential oil
- 1/4 cup oil of choice (coconut, almond, jojoba, argan, etc)
Bath Salts- Instructions
- Mix all ingredients in a medium size bowl.
- Store in an air-tight jar and use 1/4 cup per bath.