This natural homemade mosquito repellent is great for mosquitoes and flies.
Homemade Mosquito Repellent Spray
- 2 tablespoons of one or a combination of the following: witch hazel or vodka (find witch hazel here)
- 2 tablespoons of one or a combination of the following: grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, olive oil, or neem oil (which contains natural insecticidal compounds) – (where to buy these oils)
- ½ teaspoon vodka as preservative (if not already using)
- 100-110 drops essential oils (where to buy 100% pure essential oils)
Add carrier liquids to small spray bottle (3 or 4 oz. works well so there is room for shaking). Add essential oils. Shake well before each use. Natural bug repellent will need to be reapplied every few hours for maximum effectiveness.
Sample Bug-Repelling Essential Oil Blend:
- 55 drops lemon eucalyptus essential oil (reported by the CDC to be a good natural substitution for DEET in repelling insects, but not recommended for use on children under 3 yrs.)
- add 15 drops cedarwood essential oil
- 15 drops lavender essential oil (if using, choose Lavandula angustifolia – “Lavender (40-42) essential oil” does not have the same insecticidal qualities)
- 15 drops rosemary essential oil
This natural homemade mosquito repellent is great for mosquitos, flies, and other annoying warm season bugs. Tweak to your liking and apply with confidence.
Other Bug-Repelling Essential Oils:
- tea tree
- rose geranium
Find everything you need to make this spray here.