Historically, perfumes were made by steeping flowers in a jar with alcohol and a small amount of oil. Use this timeless practice to make cologne water at home. It is much lighter than perfume and perfect for daytime use. The following blends make a great starting point. Experiment to devise your own signature scent.
Homemade Perfume Recipe
• 1/4 cup natural alcohol such as vodka or witch hazel
• 1/4 cup distilled or boiled water
• 2 to 3 drops each of your favorite essential oils (see variations below)
1. Mix ingredients together. Pour into a clean container.
2. To use: Spray or splash the scented cologne onto your skin. Makes 4 ounces.
■ Floral: Rose, frangipani, jasmine, violet and lilac
■ Spice: Cinnamon, ginger, clove and allspice
■ Wood: Pine, cedar and sandalwood
■ Fruit: Lemon, orange, peach and coconut
■ Herbal: Lavender, chamomile and sage
■ Exotic: Herbal musk, ylang ylang and vanilla