Kefir is a type of fungus that is similar to kombucha and easier to preserve in the form of milk. The fungus has a sharp taste and is quite refreshing. It is easy to digest, and millions of people are fans of its unique sour taste. The preparation of kefir is a simple process which includes a symbiosis of fungi and bacteria.
According to numerous studies, kefir is perfect for our overall health. It can treat a variety of ailments including some life-threatening ones, and consuming it regularly will surely boost your immune system.
Here are some of the health benefits of kefir:
- Reinforces the immune system;
- Treats respiratory infections;
- Restores the beneficial intestinal flora;
- Regulates the cholesterol levels;
- Treats digestive problems;
- Maintains normal blood pressure;
- Cleans the body of toxins;
- Improves circulation and treats anemia;
- Is a powerful natural antibiotic;
- Fights various bacteria and fungi;
- Can treat and prevent asthma and allergies.
If you’re thinking of buying a bottle of kefir, don’t. You can make it at home and always have a steady supply of the beverage. Here’s what you need to do:
- 3-4 teaspoons kefir (high-quality)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 quart distilled water
- 1/4 cup dry grapes
- Lemon (optional)
Simply add all the ingredients in a glass jar, then leave them to ferment for 24 hours. You can drink the kefir after that period, or store it in a bottle in the fridge and add some sugar if you don’t like it that sour. Make sure the water you use is distilled. The sugar is added to keep the fungi alive. Also, it’s best to use a plastic spoon when mixing the ingredients as a metal one can destroy the kefir crystals. Finally, you can add a slice of lemon in the mixture to regulate its pH levels.
I have included quick links to purchase the items you’ll need to make Kefir at home!