Orange Mint Lip Balm
Spring is the perfect time for revitalizing your body-care routines. Try these fresh, easy-to-make herbal recipes to smooth your skin and protect your lips.
Almond oil, beeswax, and honey soften and protect lips. Sweet orange (Citrus sinensis) and peppermint essential oils add a refreshing flavor.
· 4 tablespoons almond oil
· 1 tablespoon grated beeswax
· 1 teaspoon honey
· 5 drops sweet orange essential oil
· 5 drops peppermint essential oil
Combine the almond oil and the beeswax. Warm the mixture gently over very low heat until the beeswax melts. Remove from the heat, add the honey, and stir thoroughly. Add the essential oils and stir again. Pour into small wide-mouth glass jars and allow to cool, stirring occasionally, if necessary, to keep the mixture from separating.
Beet Root Lip Stain
Makes 1 ounce
Lip stains are perfect when you want just a hint of color. This recipe uses dried beet root powder, which is sold at natural food stores. You also could try fresh berry juice or alkanet root powder for color variations.
• 2 tablespoons light oil, such as sunflower, almond or walnut
• 1 tablespoon grated beeswax
• ⅛ to 1 teaspoon beet root powder
Castor Oil Lip Balm
Castor oil mixed with lanolin is soothing to dry, cracked lips and acts as a moisturizing balm to give your lips a natural shine. I also use this Castor Oil Lip Balm recipe on my eyebrows to condition them and keep them in place. MAKES 1/2 OUNCE
• 1 teaspoon castor oil
• 1 teaspoon lanolin or coconut oil
• 1 teaspoon grated beeswax
1. Melt castor oil, lanolin and beeswax using a water bath.
2. Pour melted mixture into a lip gloss container or clean pillbox. Cool completely, until cool to the touch, approximately 20 minutes.
3. To use: Rub into your lips and enjoy.