When days grow darker and the winds sharper, venture in from the brisk outdoors to sip herb-infused hot winter drinks. Let these aromas fill your home and lift your spirits.
Elderberry has many medicinal properties that make it a perfect addition to warming drinks.
You can create this nurturing ginger tea with warming herbs in a flash.
MAKES 1 TO 2 SERVINGS.
• 2 cups water
• 2 tea bags (black or green) OR 2 tablespoons loose tea
• 2 tablespoons dried elderberries
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger OR 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
• 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1. In a medium saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil. Remove from heat and steep for at least 5 minutes.
2. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer. Serve this soothing tea warm in mugs or teacups.
Turmeric-Black Tea Brew
Be sure to wear gloves when handling turmeric to keep your fingers from staining yellow.
MAKES 2 TO 3 SERVINGS.
• 1 tablespoon butter, softened at room temperature
• 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2 cups water
• 2 to 3 black tea bags OR 2 to 3 tablespoons loose tea
• 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
• 1 cup milk or unsweetened soymilk
• 2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar, to taste
1. In a small bowl, carefully combine butter with turmeric, ginger and cinnamon until you have a paste.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring water, tea bags and peppercorns to a boil. Remove from heat and steep for 5 or more minutes. Strain and reserve.
4. Add 1/2 cup of the warm liquid mixture to the small bowl. Slowly stir and blend paste with liquid mixture.
5. When paste has dissolved, add bowl contents to saucepan. Stir until completely blended. Serve warm in mugs or teacups.
Lavender-Lemon Hot Toddy
Hot toddies are traditionally made with whiskey, rum or brandy. This nonalcoholic recipe combines lavender’s calming benefits with soothing honey and lemon.
MAKES 1 TO 2 SERVINGS
• 2 cup water
• Fresh juice of 1 lemon
• 2 tablespoons lavender buds
• 1 teaspoon ginger
• 1 to 2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar, to taste
• 2 tea green bags (decaf or regular) OR 2 tablespoons loose green tea
• 1 to 2 crushed raw garlic cloves, optional
1. Combine water, lemon juice, lavender, ginger, sweetener and tea bags in a saucepan. Bring to boil. Remove from heat and steep for at least 5 minutes.
2. Place optional crushed raw garlic clove at the bottom of each teacup or mug.
3. Strain warm lavender-lemon brew and pour into teacup or mug.
These recipes were developed by Letitia L. Star , a freelance writer and recipe developer.